IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO BREED YOU CAN AFFORD TO RESCUE

IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO BREED YOU CAN AFFORD TO RESCUE
IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO BREED YOU CAN AFFORD TO RESCUE

Saturday 3 July 2010

Dentals and Mentals

Not only has the sun come out these last two weeks but so has my poor Wontis' teeth!

Nature has given us both a nudge to acknowledge it's passing of time by realising that Hector is in his Autumn years.  He has been licking his lips a lot these last couple of months and although he has been the unwilling recipient of anti biotics and anti inflammatory, his lip licking remained.

His teeth are virtually flat.  A nasty habit of stone carrying has rendered them so.  He will inflame me by wandering off, the proud owner of some new ball in excess of five pounds worth, just to meander back in to sight carrying a stone.  He even resorts to standing waist deep in the sea just out of reach of a collar grabbing to remove said offensive item.  It is a habit that now, at ten years of age, has brought home all its negatives.

My vets are absolutely brilliant and I did not have to take him in to surgery until it was his time to go in.  This stopped him languishing in a cage from early morning till early afternoon when he was operated on.  Of course, this only gave me more time to worry and fret as us owners do.  Would rather have sent Colin to the dentist than my Wontis LOL

I was more uptight than usual due to my vet impressing on me that this was going to be quite major surgery as dogs teeth are not as easily "pulled" as human ones.  Least to say after two and half hours under anesthetic he had five teeth removed.   Two top canines and two lower back teeth and one tiny little front tooth that he broke as a puppy and should, by all rules of nature, fallen out before he reached adulthood.  This was Wednesday last and we manged to pick him up at 6.30pm the same day. 

He cried for two nights and three days thanks to the anesthetic.  All my Weimaraners have done this and it usually works in our favour as the vets can't wait to get rid of them once fully recovered due to their vocalisation.  I won't describe the guilt as we all know what that is like (raised eyes) at the sight of our precious hounds all baggy eyed and wobbly legged.  Our worry of Tilly proving feral at his disadvantage proved not necessary as she just wanted to be with him to the extent she even gave me the evils as was positive I was the author of his ills, which I was or certainly was feeling like

Anyway, after six days of spoiling and restricted exercise he got the all clear to go ahead for normal turd behaviour to resume, which he duly did by doing a double backed half pike somersault in to the undergrowth on the headlands and going AWOL for ten minutes.  He just had to re assert his in charge status above us mere humans :)

Levity aside, it has been a reminder by nature of his age, something we tend to forget due to his despot behaviour.  It has also given both Hector and I plenty excuses to languish a bit longer in bed having cuddles, something I will not be taking for granted so much in future.  It has been awful to see his mouth so swollen and full of stitches, but I am just grateful I have my Wontis back

No comments:

Post a Comment